Closing date: 10:00 Monday 06 February
Interview date: w/c 13 February
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: £33,000 - £35,000 pro rata
The idea at the heart of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is simple: anyone with a desire to perform and a venue willing to host them is welcome. No individual or committee determines who can or cannot perform at the Fringe.
It all began in 1947 with eight companies – six of them from Scotland – taking a risk, turning up uninvited and performing on the ‘fringe’ of the inaugural Edinburgh International Festival. Over 70 years later, the Fringe has grown to become the greatest platform for creative freedom in the world, second only to the Olympics in terms of global ticketed events. In 2022 there are 3336 shows taking place in 278 venues across Edinburgh.
The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society is the charity that was established by participants to provide support services, uphold the values, and be the convening body for the Fringe. We exist to support, advise and encourage everyone who wants to participate in the Fringe, provide information and assistance to audiences, and celebrate the Fringe and what it stands for all over the world.
With a central location in the heart of the Royal Mile, the Fringe Shop is a landmark for Fringe-goers. We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial and creative mindset, who can support the society in maximising revenue generation across both on-site and e-commerce sales. We are keen to explore new opportunities as we grow both areas, and also look at extending our offering to wider gifts and products year round. All profits from the Fringe Shop go to support the core service delivery of the Fringe Society and help keep artists costs down.
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, Communications and Sponsorship, the Retail and E-Commerce Manager will be responsible for driving the Fringe Society’s strategy within this space, as well as the day-to-day management of the Fringe Society’s retail offering.
Role and responsibilities
The successful candidate will perform a wide range of duties, including but not limited to:
- Ownership and delivery of the retail and ecommerce strategy for the Fringe Society.
- Management of all elements of the Fringe Society’s day-to-day retail operation, including the shop at 180 High Street, e-commerce and fulfilment.
- Management of the retail budget, and monthly reporting to the head of department.
- Establishing sales targets and overseeing the delivery of initiatives to support and deliver these, with a focus on growth and increased profitability
- Managing the online Fringe Shop, adding and maintaining product lines and working with the Marketing team to arrange copy, photography, design and layouts.
- Working with the Marketing team to develop designs for new and existing products that reflect the Fringe brand and maximise growth.
- Working with the Marketing team to develop a marketing strategy to support delivery, including regular promotions and monitoring their success.
- Manage the full operation of the Fringe Shop, including sourcing new products, ongoing stock control, staff management and customer service. Working with local suppliers, support the wider organisation through the coordination of staff uniforms, festival lanyards and business cards.
- From programme launch, manage stock levels of the printed programme in the Fringe Shop and with agency support, manage distribution across UK-wide outlets.
- Ownership and growth of all ecommerce channels, including edfringe.com and our TikTok shop.
- Deliver a high level of customer service and create an inviting and inclusive shop to encourage browsers and buyers.
- Working with the support from the Operations team, manage the fulfilment of all ecommerce orders.
- Manage the till system, including handling cash and reconciling card terminals.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to manage Shop and Retail finances.
- Recruitment and line management of seasonal retail staff.
- Supporting the Marketing and Communications and Operations teams as required.
- A creative and open-minded approach to merchandise and product selection, with a keen eye for retail trends and emerging markets.
- Experience of managing a retail offering across on-site and/or ecommerce.
- Experience of growing ecommerce channels.
- An understating of finance processes, including the creation of profit and loss sheets.
- Understanding of how to maximise revenue through a strong retail presence.
- Staff management experience.
- Experience in delivering excellent customer service.
- Promoting retail sales on social media platforms including Instagram and TikTok.
- Experience of Shopify (or similar) would be useful, but full training will be provided.
- Events experience or that of a fast-paced environment.
- Previous knowledge and use of social media-based retail shopfronts.
- 4.5% employer pension contribution.
- 34 days holiday (inclusive of six bank holidays).
- Flexible working culture
- Employee assistance programme
Hours of work
Normal hours of work are from 10:00 to 18:00 (including a one-hour unpaid lunch break) Monday to Friday. During the festival, you will be required to work six days a week. There is no overtime entitlement, but the Society operates a TOIL policy. We are a flexible working employer and therefore are happy to discuss flexible working at any stage of the application process.
We close for a two-week period over Christmas and new year. Depending on the amount of TOIL accrued, it may be necessary to use some annual leave towards this (a maximum of four days).
We use positive action under section 159 of the Equality Act in relation to disability or race. This means that if we have two candidates of equal merit in our process, we will seek to take forward the D/deaf, disabled, Black, Asian or ethnically diverse candidate in order to diversify our staff team.
The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society is committed to reducing its environmental impacts in its everyday operations. We are also committed to maintaining the open-access policy of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sectors of the community. We are also proud to be a Disability Confident Employer and aim to successfully employ and retain disabled people and those with health conditions. We expect employees to support these commitments and to assist in their realisation.
Application deadline: 6th February, 2023