Award-winning TV channel Dave, the home of witty banter, has announced the winner of the sixth annual Dave Award for the Funniest Joke of the Fringe.
With nearly a quarter of the overall votes (24%), comedian Rob Auton takes the top spot and walks away with the hand-crafted Dave trophy and cash prize for his sharp one-liner:
“I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.” – Rob Auton
Dave’s Top 10 Funniest Jokes from the Fringe 2013
- Rob Auton - “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
- Alex Horne - “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
- Alfie Moore - “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
- Tim Vine - “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily.’”
- Gary Delaney - “I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell.”
- Phil Wang - “The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men.”
- Marcus Brigstocke - “You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.”
- Liam Williams - “The universe implodes. No matter.”
- Bobby Mair - “I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance.”
- Chris Coltrane - “The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.”
In its quest to find the most hilarious jokes, Dave enlisted the help of an expert panel of judges, consisting of ten of the UK’s foremost comedy critics. They scoured venues over a week-long period to nominate their three favourite one-liners. The 30 shortlisted gags were then put to the public vote, with 2,570 comedy fans selecting those that made them laugh the loudest.
Click here for the full list of 2013 Award-Winners