29 April 2011
Edinburgh’s Festival Fringe Society has opened nominations for the newly established Participants’ Council. Part of the changes established by the Constitutional Review, the Participants’ Council will ensure that those who take part in the Fringe have direct input into the issues discussed by the Society’s Board.
Alister O'Loughlin who has been appointed by the Society's Board as the Lead Director responsible for liaison with the Participants' Council said:
"The Participants’ Council is one of the key aspects to the new Constitution. It is a very exciting moment for us as this continues to make the organisation more open to participants who wish to have their say on how the Society is run. All it takes is passion, awareness and an involvement in the world’s largest arts festival to stand for this Council - and I would implore anyone with an interest in the running of the Fringe to put their name forward."
The initial Fringe Participants’ Council will comprise of twelve members drawn from three categories - ‘performers’, ‘registered venues’ and ‘producers’. This group of Fringe Society members, who actively participate in the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, will share ideas, suggestions and feedback. An open dialogue between board and those working with the Festival Fringe is intended to enhance the experience for participants. The council will consult with the Fringe Society Board at least twice in any calendar year.
Notes to Editors:
- To stand as a member of the Participant’s Council and applicant has to be a member of the Fringe Society; membership to which has reopened since the adoption of the new constitution. For members of the society wishing to nominate - a completed copy of the nomination form needs to be entered by 06 May 2011.
- The first members of the Council will serve for either a two year term or a four year term, as the new initiative moves forward, members will serve a two year term and can be elected for two consecutive terms - before they have to stand down for at least one year.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2011 runs from 05-29 August.
- Programme launch 9 June. Box Office opens 8AM 10 June.
- Further infomation on the Participants’ Council and information on becomming a member of the Society can be found at edfringe.com. (direct link)