Teachers' Theatre Club 2022 is open for applications
21 January 2022
We are delighted to open up applications for Teachers’ Theatre Club (TTC), for teachers based in Edinburgh and the Lothians, as well as a new National Teachers’ Theatre Club (NTTC), open to teachers in the rest of Scotland outwith Edinburgh and the Lothians.
All teachers, in both clubs, will have the opportunity to:
- see more performances (live and online)
- develop their critical thinking skills
- become more confident in discussing theatre and dance performance with each other and with their learners
- inspire their classes to do the same.
Develop your skillset
TTC and NTTC members will have access to post-show discussions with the companies and creatives behind the work, as well as some of Scotland's key industry professionals including artists, designers, programmers, critics and production staff. These discussions will enable participants to feel more confident about discussing live performance and sharing opinions, both as individuals and as teachers.
The group will also discuss how the shows could enhance and inform teaching practice by:
- bringing a class to see a theatre or dance performance
- incorporating aspects of the discussion into their teaching practice
- developing creative activities and tasks around the themes of a performance.
Teachers taking part in the project will benefit from:
- free tickets for all performances
- the chance to learn through facilitated Q&A sessions with the professionals who made and/or programmed the performances for more in-depth understanding about the performing arts sector and the creation process
- sessions counting towards staff CLPL requirements
- increased confidence in engaging with live performing arts
- a new network of arts professionals, festivals and organisations.
Which Teacher’s Theatre Club should you apply for?
If you work in a school in Edinburgh or the Lothians, then you should apply for Teachers’ Theatre Club (TTC), run as a partnership between Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society and Imaginate.There are 20 places in total.
TTC members will be offered the chance to see performances through the two partner organisations:
- Through Imaginate teachers will see a number of performances as part of Edinburgh International Children’s Festival between 07 – 15 May 2022, specific dates tbc.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society will offer the chance to see performances as part of Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August 2022, specific dates tbc.
- We will also offer a programme of non-festival performances at Edinburgh venues throughout the year.
Most performances and TTC events will be in person.
If you work in a school in Scotland outwith Edinburgh and the Lothians, you should apply for National Teachers’ Theatre Club (NTTC), a partnership between Imaginate, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society and National Theatre of Scotland. There are 20 places in total.
NTTC members will be offered the chance to see performances through the three partner organisations:
- A series of National Theatre of Scotland productions, either in person at touring venues near you or online, between April and December 2022.
- Imaginate will offer opportunities to see a programme of digital performances, and a Festival on Tour performance if the venue suits, as part of Edinburgh International Children’s Festival in spring 2022. Where teachers are willing to travel to Edinburgh, tickets will be offered for in-person performances at the Children’s Festival.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society will offer the chance to see performances either online or in person at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August 2022, and a Fringe show on tour in late 2022 if the venue suits.
We welcome applications from teachers working in local authority primary, secondary and ASN schools. The application forms can be found here:
Key dates for both applications:
- 21 February 2022, 10:00 – application deadline.
- Late February 2022 – panel meets to consider applications.
- 11 March 2022 – successful applicants informed.
Find out more
You can read about previous Teachers’ Theatre Club at www.imaginate.org.uk/artists/projects/teachers-theatre-club.
Listen to four of the Teachers’ Theatre Club - Year 1 members talking about how TTC was for them:
"When applying to be a part of TTC, I saw it as interesting CPD. I never thought for a second that it would give me so much more. Over the course of the project I have engaged in discussions with a wide range of professionals in the arts, experienced theatre that I would never have thought to go see myself and discussed how I would use these shows with my pupils. I have laughed, cried, debated and been comfortable in talking about what I have both liked and disliked about performances. However, what has taken me by surprise is the camaraderie I have experienced. I didn't expect to leave this project with new friendships and a fantastic group of people that I know I can call upon to go see a show with me. I hope this project runs for many years to come and I urge as many teachers as possible to experience this. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it."
– TTC Year 1 member
Photo: The Desk, Summerhall, David Monteith-Hodge (2019)