The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society has opened submissions for this year’s Allen Wright Award.
The Allen Wright Award was established fifteen years ago to encourage and reward quality writing in arts journalism.
The award was created by the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society in 1998 as a tribute to Allen Wright, the Arts Editor of The Scotsman for thirty years.
Allen Wright was a passionate supporter of the Fringe and a great encourager of young talent. The Fringe First Awards, which he founded, are to this day a major institution and point of highest prestige for its recipients.
Similarly, the Allen Wright Awards — the only official award handed out by the Fringe Society — honours his ideals and continues his contribution to the festival he loved.
There are two categories of awards – the first category covers reviews of shows that are part of the 2013 Fringe and the second category covers news stories, interviews and feature pieces linked to this year’s Fringe.
Entrants for the award must be aged thirty or younger, and can submit up to two pieces of published work (minimum 100 words, maximum 2,000 words) relating to this year’s Fringe in each category.
Entrants are free to choose whether to enter both categories or just to focus on one.
Submissions will be accepted up to 12.00pm on Tuesday 20th August.
All entries should be submitted in triplicate and accompanied by the official entry form.
Please submit all entries to the reception desk at the Fringe Media Office in Fringe Central, 11 Crichton Street.
Conditions of Entry:
- Entrants for the award must be aged 30 or younger on 20th August 2013.
- Entrants are required to submit one or two pieces of published work relating to the current year’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe for each category that they are entering.
- Entrants must submit three copies of each piece of work being submitted.
- No single piece of work can be entered in both categories.
- Each piece of published work must be a between 100 and 2,000 words.
- Entries must include the date, page number and full title of the publication in which the submission appears.
- Submissions must reach the Fringe Media Office by 12.00pm on Tuesday 20th August.
- Submissions may be from the original publication or photocopies.
- No submissions will be returned.
- Entries submitted by fax or e-mail will not be considered.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
- Employees of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society are not eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced on www.edfringe.com and the winning copy will be published on www.edfringe.com.