Total Theatre Award winners announced
22 August 2014
22 August 2014
Total Theatre is delighted to announce the winners of the Total Theatre Awards 2014.
Over the course of this year’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe 18 Peer Assessors, comprised of Artists, Producers, Programmers, Curators, Critics and Academics assessed 436 shows across the first 11 days of the festival, from which a shortlist of 29 nominated shows was announced on 14 August 2014.
Following this the nominated shows were viewed by a panel of 13 judges who have awarded 5 awards across 4 categories – one Award for an Emerging Company, one Award for Circus, one Award for Visual/Physical Theatre and two Awards in Innovation, Experimentation and Playing With Form.
The Awards team is passionate about ensuring great work is recognised. The rigour of the two stage assessment and judging process allows us to do this. However every year there is brilliant work that opens post short listing. This year in an effort to tackle the challenge this presents and to consider late opening work, the judges also considered a number of late opening shows, following recommendations from the awards producing, assessment and judging team alongside senior industry professionals. These shows were put forward for the judging panel to view and consider for potential Judges discretionary award for a late opening show. Following the same judging process being applied to this group of shows alongside the shortlist the Judges have taken the decision this year to award 2 Judges Discretionary awards. One Significant Contribution award has also been awarded.
The Award Winners are:
- Shows by an Emerging Company/Artist - Backstage in Biscuit Land (Pleasance)
- Physical/Visual Theatre - The Object Lesson (Summerhall)
- Innovation, Experimentation & Playing with Form – Lippy (Traverse) and Near Gone (Summerhall)
- Total Theatre & Jacksons Lane Award for Circus - Bromance (Underbelly)
- Judges Award - Looking for Paul (Summerhall) and Kim Noble: You’re Not Alone (Traverse)
- Significant Contribution Award - Ridiculusmus
For the current list of 2014 award winners and nominees, please visit our 2014 Award Winners page