Dates for your diary
This year the Edinburgh Festival Fringe takes place from 02 – 26 August 2024. Batches of shows are revealed in the months leading up to August:
- First shows revealed: Thursday 22 February
- Second batch of shows revealed: Thursday 04 April
- Third batch of shows revealed: Thursday 09 May
- Full programme launch: Wednesday 12 June
How to choose shows
Once they go live, every show at the Fringe is listed on our website.
Shows can keep registering right up to and even during the Fringe, so it's worth checking back throughout the summer to see what's been added.
You can use search filters to create a list of shows that are relevant to you – for example, using a certain date range depending on when you'll be in town, or focusing on specific genres you want to see.
The official Fringe programme
Our printed programme contains information on almost every show at the Fringe. The 2024 programme will launch in summer – find out more about the printed programme.
The official EdFringe app
As with edfringe.com, the official EdFringe app is kept up to date with every show appearing at the Fringe. It can also tell you which shows are starting soon near your location (using the 'Nearby Now' function) and suggest random shows with a simple shake of your phone (using 'Shake to Search').
The Half Price Hut
The Half Price Hut is where you find get half price tickets for shows starting the same day (or the next morning). This can be a great way to discover new shows at a discount.
The Half Price Hut is usually available from the first Wednesday of the Fringe.
For questions about the Fringe box office and buying tickets check our box office FAQs.
All Fringe shows are e-ticketed – here's how it works:
- Once you book your tickets you will receive a confirmation email containing a QR code that the venue staff will scan when you arrive to see your show.
- You can show the code on your device or print it off at home.
- If you book multiple shows in the same transaction, you can use the same QR code for all bookings in that transaction.
- You can also find your QR codes in the 'My tickets' area of your edfringe.com account and in the official EdFringe app.
- If you do not have a smartphone or require a physical ticket for accessibility reasons, our box office will be happy to print one for you.
Some general e-ticketing tips
- It might be a good idea to screenshot your QR code if you're concerned about wifi access.
- If you've booked tickets for a group, try your best to show up together.
- Above all, be kind – e-ticketing is fairly new at the Fringe, for venue staff as well as audience members, so try to bear this in mind if there are any hold-ups.
Check our box office FAQs for more details about e-tickets.
Planning your schedule
Travelling between venues
While Edinburgh is quite a compact city, it can be extremely busy in August, so it's worth leaving plenty of time to get from show to show (even if the venues appear to be close together).
This also applies if shows are at the same venue – many venues have multiple performance spaces, and it can take time to exit one show and join the queue for another (especially if you want to grab some food, visit the bar or use the facilities in-between).
Some venues will not admit latecomers once a show has started, so make sure you leave plenty of time for travelling between shows, and try to avoid booking them back-to-back.
Leave time for surprises... and the rest of Edinburgh
One of the delights of the Fringe is discovering something completely unexpected, so while it's a good idea to book in advance for any shows you don't want to miss, we'd recommend leaving some gaps to squeeze in those unpredictable word-of-mouth wonders.
It's also worth remembering that the Fringe takes place in Edinburgh, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Take time to see the sights, visit tourist attractions and spend time in some of the city's many cafes, bars and restaurants.
Stay in the loop
Whether you’re a seasoned Fringe veteran or interested in visiting for the first time, be the first to know the latest Fringe updates by signing up to receive our email updates or through our social media channels: