The winning posters are now on display with the regional winners and over 140 other shortlisted entries at the Fringe Schools Poster exhibition at Dynamic Earth until 27 August 2018.
Thank you to all of the schools and pupils who submitted entries. Certificates for all those who took part are available to download.
About the 2018 competition
Schoolchildren across Scotland were given the opportunity to design an official poster for the 2018 Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- One winner was selected from each age category resulting in 3 official posters for 2018.
- Each of the 3 winners received £150 cash prize and £150 Arts & Culture voucher.
- The winner's schools also received a £250 cash prize and £250 Arts & Culture voucher.
- Victoria Primary in Edinburgh were awarded the Creative Stars award in partnership with Dynamic Earth.
- An additional 14 regional winners were selected to take part in the prize-giving and final exhibition.
- Over 140 other shortlisted entries are also included in the final exhibition.
- Winners were selected by our panel of expert judges.
Creative Stars award
The Creative Stars award is given to an individual pupil, teacher, class or school who go the extra mile in creating their Fringe poster design.
In 2018 the winners were Primary 6 pupils from Victoria Primary School in Edinburgh who created a cityscape comprised of paintings of Edinburgh as a background and 3D clay models representing different parts of the city and the festival. Once their artwork was complete they held an exhibition in their classroom to show the rest of the school their designs. The judges loved how the class immersed themselves in the project and thought that their designs show how the Fringe reaches out over the whole of Edinburgh and reflect how the city comes alive with creativity. The pupils and their teacher Mr Leonard were presented with a certificate and a Golden Ticket pass for Dynamic Earth at a special award ceremony.
Previous winners of the award were Castlebrae Community High School Lunchtime Art Club.
The 2018 Fringe Schools Poster Exhibition is now open to the public at Dynamic Earth until 27 August 2018.
The exhibition was launched with a special prize-giving ceremony at Dynamic Earth which celebrated our top three winners, regional winners and shortlisted entries with their friends, family and teachers.
Stuck wondering what the Fringe is and how to explain it to your class? Check out our video explaining all about the world’s greatest art festival in two minutes!
- Download the competition poster
- Download the Creative brief
- Drama: early years lesson plan
- Expressive art: middle years lesson plan
- Literacy: upper years lesson plan
Frequently asked questions
Terms and conditions
- The competition is only open to pupils studying in Primary 1 to Senior 6 as part of the 2017/2018 academic year from schools in Scotland.
- Entries must be received by 17:00, Friday 09 March 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Teachers entering scanned images of artwork must retain the original artwork. If shortlisted for exhibition, we will require the original artwork to be sent.
- Only posters that win a place in the exhibition will be retained by the EFFS. We cannot return or offer collection for any other entries due to the scale of entries we receive. Posters featured in the exhibition can be collected from the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society office from Monday 03 September 2018
- Entrants in the Fringe Schools Poster Competition 2018 shall assign to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society in perpetuity, all copyright of their artwork.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society reserves the right to use part of, or the entire image of, the artwork submitted to the Fringe Schools Poster Competition 2018 on any Fringe merchandise or promotional material.
- Submissions that do not meet the deadline, entry specifications or are not labelled clearly will not be considered.
- The Schools that have shortlisted posters (including the winners and regional winners) will be notified in April 2018 by post and email. All communications will be done through the nominated contact at the school.