Teachers' Theatre Club was our project with Imaginate to help teachers in Edinburgh and the Lothians experience live performance.
Between 2019 and 2023, we worked with 28 teachers from 24 schools across Edinburgh and the Lothians and 16 teachers from 15 schools around the rest of Scotland.
The Fringe's involvement in Teachers' Theatre Club has now ended, and the project is not taking on any new applicants. However, if you are a teacher and would be interested in other projects and opportunities with the Fringe, please get in touch with us via [email protected].
Members of Teachers' Theatre Club got to see a variety of live performances in Edinburgh, including at Edinburgh International Children’s Festival and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. They attended post-show discussions with the companies and creatives behind the work, including some of Scotland's key industry professionals such as artists, designers, programmers, critics and production staff. These discussions were designed to enable participants to feel more confident about discussing live performance and sharing opinions, both as individuals and as teachers.
The group also discussed how shows could enhance and inform teaching practice by:
- bringing a class to see a theatre or dance performance
- incorporating aspects of the discussion into their teaching practice
- developing creative activities and tasks around the themes of a performance.
Teachers who took part in the project benefitted from:
- free tickets for all performances
- the chance to learn through facilitated Q&A sessions with the professionals who made and/or programmed the performances for more in-depth understanding about the performing arts sector and the creation process
- sessions counting towards staff CLPL requirements
- increased confidence in engaging with live performing arts
- a new network of arts professionals, festivals and organisations.
National Teachers' Theatre Club
In 2022, TTC included an expanded offshoot called National Teachers’ Theatre Club, a partnership between Imaginate, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society and National Theatre of Scotland. This offered up to 20 teachers the chance to see performances through the three partner organisations:
- A series of National Theatre of Scotland productions, either in person at touring venues or online, between April and December 2022.
- Imaginate offered opportunities to see a programme of digital performances, and a Festival on Tour performance, as part of Edinburgh International Children’s Festival in spring 2022.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society offered the chance to see performances either online or in person at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August 2022, and a Fringe show on tour in late 2022.
You can read about previous Teachers’ Theatre Club at imaginate.org.uk
When applying to be a part of TTC, I saw it as interesting CPD. I never thought for a second that it would give me so much more. Over the course of the project I have engaged in discussions with a wide range of professionals in the arts, experienced theatre that I would never have thought to go see myself and discussed how I would use these shows with my pupils. I have laughed, cried, debated and been comfortable in talking about what I have both liked and disliked about performances.
However, what has taken me by surprise is the camaraderie I have experienced. I didn't expect to leave this project with new friendships and a fantastic group of people that I know I can call upon to go see a show with me. I hope this project runs for many years to come and I urge as many teachers as possible to experience this. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.
- TTC Year 1 member