Teachers’ Theatre Club is an exciting CLPL opportunity for primary, secondary and ASN teachers practicing in local authority schools in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Teachers’ Theatre Club (TTC) was a group of teachers who saw a variety of live performance in Edinburgh from March 2020 to February 2021. Each show was followed by a group discussion with some of the artists and creative teams who made and/or presented the work, covering both the content of the show and how it could enhance and inform teaching practice.
Applications for Teachers’ Theatre Club are now closed.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected]
Benefits of taking part
- Counts towards CLPL requirement.
- Introduction to work by professional artists and companies from Scotland and abroad.
- Use critical thinking skills in arts setting.
- Enhance the learning experiences of learners.
- Increase confidence in engaging with live performing arts.
- Develop a network of creative and arts professionals and organisations.
- Attending a wide range of live performance in Edinburgh, including theatre and dance, followed by facilitated discussions with arts professionals, artists and other teachers.
- Meet creatives – such as performance makers, writers, actors, directors, programmers and technicians – and understand their roles in the sector and how they think about quality in performance.
- Help plan what the group goes to see, and which arts professionals to meet.
- Socialise and engage with peers in a non-teaching or conference environment.
- Bring a colleague! We want invite members to bring a colleague to each session – ideally someone not currently engaged with the arts, or lacking confidence in talking about performance – to help broaden the conversation. These can be teachers, teaching assistants or other associated professionals.
The following are included in the programme, free of charge
- Tickets to all shows.
- Supply cover, caring or childcare costs if required.
- Adjustments required to ensure shows are accessible.
Here are some thoughts from teachers who attended Teachers' Theatre Club 2019:
Requirements for involvement
- You must be teaching in a local authority school in one of the following councils: City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian.
- Your Head teacher must fully support your application and sign off your application form.
- You must bring a colleague with you as your plus-one.
- Some shows will take place on a Friday afternoon; however, you’ll also be required to see performances during evening and weekends, as well as during school holidays.
- You must attend the first planning meeting.
- You must attend as many TTC sessions as possible.
Who is this for?
We want a variety of people to be involved, at all levels of experience, and are particularly keen to hear from teachers who face barriers to attending the arts due to:
- disability or long-term health condition
- having a family or other caring responsibility
- being from a minority ethnic group.
This programme is only open to teachers employed by one of the following local authorities: City of Edinburgh Council, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian.
Applications are currently closed.
If you would like to find out more, please email [email protected]
Imaginate and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society
This project is being run in partnership with Imaginate and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society. Imaginate is a unique organisation in Scotland, promoting, developing and celebrating the performing arts for children and young people. For more information, please visit Imaginate.org.uk.