You will be part of a group of teachers visiting a wide range of live performance in Edinburgh over eight months.
Following each show, you will take part in group discussions, like a book club, about the show with an arts practitioner, discussing how these shows could enhance and inform your teaching practice by:
- Bringing a class to see a theatre or dance performance with confidence in the quality of the experience.
- Incorporating aspects of the discussion into your practice.
- Developing creative activities and tasks around the themes of a performance.
You will be required to demonstrate an enquiring and critical approach to the work seen and be expected to draw links to your own practice and to actively share your ideas on this. The project will be co-designed with the teachers taking part and will involve developing practical skills to enable you to confidently explore live performance both as an individual and as a practitioner with your class.
The deadline to submit applications was Monday 04 February 2019 at 17:00. Successful applicants will be notified week commencing 19 February 2019.
Dates for your diary
Theatre Club members should keep these dates free:
- First get together: planning meeting – 15 March 2019, 3:00pm
- Edinburgh International Children’s Festival – 29 May, 7:00pm – 9:00pm and 31 May, 1.30pm – 8:00pm
- Fringe planning meeting – 17 June, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe – 02 – 26 August (2 x sessions dates to be confirmed)
- Teacher’s Theatre Club October session (date tbc)
- Teacher’s Theatre Club December session (date tbc)
How to apply
To take part in this opportunity, you must meet the following requirements:
- Your Head teacher is required to fully support your application, and to sign off your application form.
- Some shows will take place on a Friday afternoon, however, you must commit to seeing performances during evening and weekends, as well as during school holidays.
- You must commit to attending the first planning meeting on 15 March at 3:00pm.
- You must be teaching in an Edinburgh City Council school between January – December 2019.
Who is this for?
We want a variety of people to be involved and are particularly keen to hear from teachers who face barriers to attending the arts due to:
- Difficulty affording the cost of travel to Edinburgh.
- Disability or long-term health condition.
- Having a family or other caring responsibility.
- Being from a minority ethnic group.
Applications are now closed.