The 2021 Fringe will take place from 06 – 30 August 2021, comprising events both online and in-person where it is safe to do so. This guide is designed to help you think about how to create a show for the online world. This is new territory for many Fringe artists and for the Fringe Society, so we will keep updating this document over the next few months, to help keep you as up to date as possible with the available information.
This guide sits alongside our regular Guide to putting on a show; much of what you’ll need to know will already be covered by our general guidance.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for in either guide, please get in touch on [email protected] or +44 (0)131 226 0034, whichever suits you best. We're here to help.
What you need to know
We’ve developed a range of services and features to help you stage online Fringe events in 2021 and beyond. This includes:
- easily navigable listings so audiences can find and view your online event on edfringe.com
- a video platform integrated into edfringe.com where participants can host their pre-recorded performances; access to Fringe Player is included as part of participants’ registration fee
- integration with other video platforms so you can use the tech and tools you feel most comfortable with, and still list your show alongside other online Fringe shows
- guidance around online events.
Why take your Fringe event online?
- Have your work seen globally by audiences who may not be able to get to Edinburgh this year.
- Make your work available to worldwide media and the arts industry looking for new and established work.
- Your event can go ahead, irrespective of any Covid-19 implications or changes to government guidance.
- For many, an online event can be more environmentally sustainable.
- Registering an online event for the Fringe is a great first step, and a way of dipping your toe into the Fringe, without committing too much financially.
- If you choose to have your show available as on demand, it will be viewable and buyable by audiences 24 hours a day for the duration of your registration.