With so many options available it can be difficult to know which platform to choose for your online show. There is no right or wrong answer – it’s about deciding what works best for presenting your show and connecting with your audience.
If you have specific plans to use a particular platform, especially one we haven’t mentioned below, then it is a good idea to get in touch with our Registration team (by emailing [email protected]) early in the process, so we can make sure we’re able to offer as much help as possible, as our services may need to be more bespoke.
We want to support artists however they choose to present their work, so tell us your plans for your online show and we'll work with you to see what's possible. Your event should be available as a single url which will then be shared with ticket buyers.
Remember, your venue may have a preferred platform, so always check with them early in your decision-making process. Although you will be able to register your online space on Edfringeware, we’d still recommend linking up with an existing Fringe venue as they can add value to your Fringe experience through their offering.
|Best suited to pre-recorded video or audio||Best suited to broadcast streaming||Best suited to interaction|
Be sure to test out and play around with any video hosting platform to make sure it’s right for you before you commit. Most services offer free accounts, but these sometimes come with limitations and may have advertising which appears over, or next to, your content.
If your show is full-screened or cast to a TV device then the video itself will be spotlighted and the links and description will only appear when viewed as a full page.
- Pre-recorded and livestreamed videos.
- Chat function on livestreams, comment function on pre-recorded.
- Donation function on livestreams.
- Options to publish publicly or keep unlisted (only those with a link can view – however this link is easily shareable).
- Can be embeddable on show listings – a good option if your show is free, non-ticketed.
- Pre-recorded videos.
- Max upload 500MB weekly and user limit of 5GB, unless you have a Pro account.
- Donation function.
- Chat function.
- Live events.
- Length and capacity dependent on account / add-ons. Standard user max 40mins in group call.
- Direct access to audience members, virtual meeting room style.
What about free shows?
You can have a free, ticketed online event where audiences can book a zero-cost ticket, with a booking fee, when booking through edfringe.com. They will receive information on how to access your show content after they have completed the transaction.
Please note: even if your show is free, it must be ticketed; this means any ticket-buyers for your show will need to pay a £1.25 booking fee on each ticket (up to a maximum of £5).