2014 Musical Network Award winners announced
23 August 2014
23 August 2014
The Musical Theatre Network Awards have been running since 2007 and through them we profile a wide range of new work that approaches the genre in a multitude of ways. We are looking for high quality work – from the traditional book, music and lyrics stable through to work that is advancing the form and experimenting with the idea of what musical theatre can be. Our criteria are deliberately broad as we want to be sure that we don’t miss out on something that might not consider itself as fitting within the more traditional form of musical theatre but that still uses song and narrative in a dramatic way.
Our 2014 Awards are in full swing and after a fascinating (and lengthy) discussion with our assessors we have agreed on our shortlist. Huge congratulations to the companies selected:
- Alba – A New Scottish Musical from Finn Anderson Productions
- Bonenkai from The Letter Room
- The Duck Pond from withWings Theatre Company
- The Future for Beginners from liveartshow
- Janis Joplin: Full Tilt from Regular Music with support from the National Theatre of Scotland
- Lorraine and Alan from Bucket Club/Farnham Maltings/Pleasance Theatre/Colchester Arts Centre/ Escalator East to Edinburgh
- The Outback Games: A New Musical from Edwards Theatrical
- Riptide: The Slasher Musical from Porgy Productions
- Symphony by Ella Hickson, Nick Payne and Tom Wells from Nabokov and Soho Theatre
- Victorian Vices – The Picture of Dorian Gray from Another Soup
The winners will be announced at our awards ceremony on 22nd August.
Award winners from previous years have gone onto great success: Dougal Irvine’s show Departure Lounge – winning Best Music in 2008 – went on to a sell-out run at the Summer Play Festival in New York, a fully staged London run in 2010 and a nomination for Best Musical in What’sOnStage.com awards in 2011; the company RashDash – winner of Innovation and Best Book in 2011 – was nominated again in 2012 and has gone on to create work with Lyric Hammersmith, Live Theatre, Royal & Derngate and Latitude 2012; and Barbershopera – winners in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 – have toured their work nationally as well as appearing three times on London’s West End.
For the current list of 2014 award winners and nominees, please visit our 2014 Award Winners page