These awards are open to the majority of genres and programme categories - please see the details of each award for entry specifics. More awards which are open to most genres and categories can be found under the Diversity, accessibility and inclusivity awards.
Amnesty Freedom of Expression Award
The Amnesty Freedom of Expression Award honours an Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre production of excellent artistic merit that builds understanding and raises awareness about human rights in an inspirational way.
- #JeSuis - Aakash Odedra Limited - ZOO Southside
- Adam - National Theatre of Scotland - Traverse Theatre
- Borders - Gilded Balloon and RedBeard Theatre present… - Gilded Balloon Teviot
- Salt - Selina Thompson Ltd - Northern Stage @ Summerhall
- The Fall - Baxter Theatre Centre at the University of Cape Town - Assembly Hall
- What If I Told You - The Mayers Ensemble and West Yorkshire Playhouse - Army @ The Fringe in Association with Summerhall
2017 highly commended
- Woke - Play the Spotlight Theatre - Gilded Balloon Teviot
Brighton Fringe Award for Excellence – in association with Brighton Spiegeltent
Applications are now open for the Brighton Fringe Award for Excellence in association with Brighton Spiegeltent, inviting one production to perform at Brighton Fringe 2018. The winner will receive a free registration to take part in Brighton Fringe 2018, along with £500 towards production costs and a favourable deal on venue hire from Brighton Spiegeltent.
Brighton Fringe is the largest fringe festival in England and takes place in May. No artistic judgement or selection criteria are imposed on participants, enabling the development of both new and established work to attract fresh audiences, press and promoters. Brighton Fringe will take place from 4 May – 3 June 2018.
With 3 seasons under Brighton Spiegeltent’s belt, 2017 was their biggest programme yet – 190 shows and events from 80 companies! Doing what they do best with alternative cabaret, music, contemporary circus, theatre, dance and family shows.
- The Prophetic Visions of Bethany Lewis – Laura Elmes Productions – Underbelly
- Hot Gay Time Machine – Hot Gay Time Machine – Underbelly
The Broadway Baby Bobby Award
Recognising that sometimes not all five-star shows are equal, Broadway Baby's iconic Bobby statuette is awarded to the best of the best shows at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Broadway Baby covers more shows than any other publication in Edinburgh, and whilst - on average - only 8% of the performances it sees are considered worthy of five stars, that's still approaching 200 productions in any one year.
- The Laramie Project – The Italia Conti Ensemble – theSpace on Niddry St
- All We Ever Wanted Was Everything – Middle Child – Roundabout @ Summerhall
Mervyn Stutter Spirit of the Fringe Award
'The Mervyn Stutter 'Spirit of the Fringe' Awards Along with Mervyn's regular 'Pick of the Fringe' show, the 'Spirit of the Fringe Awards' (aka ‘The MERVs’) are this year celebrating their 26th anniversary which makes them one of the oldest Awards on the Fringe.
Seven Awards are given in this special ‘Spirit of the Fringe Awards’ show which is always the final show each year (this year, Sunday 27th Aug 2017). These Awards acknowledge and celebrate the talent, hard work, pluck and sheer doggedness demanded of performers from all genres on the Fringe to make a show a success.
Winners of a MERV are chosen from the 140 amazing shows that have been highlighted during the regular 2017 'Pick of the Fringe' showcases, so it is fair to say that the winners are the crème de la crème. Given this, it could justifiably be argued that this is the best show of the whole ‘Pick of the Fringe’ run. The 'Spirit of the Fringe' Awards were created to recognise those who show commitment in the face of little support or funding or those who have consistently provided audiences with quality entertainment over the years. There is no application process as the awards are issued at the judges' discretion.
For more information go to www.mervspotfringe.com
- Christine Bovill Paris – Christine Bovill / Salt 'n' Sauce Promotions – New Town
- Matt Panesh - Freedom…! – Matt Panesh / PBH's Free Fringe – Banshee Labyrinth (Venue 156)
- Descent – A Moment White Productions – Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre (Venue 76)
- Sleeping Trees at the Movies – Sleeping Trees – Pleasance Dome (Venue 23)
- Jo Caulfield: Older. Wiser. Smarter. Meaner. – Jo Caulfield / The Stand Comedy Club – The Stand Comedy Club 5 & 6 (Venue 319)
- Wereldband: Släpstick – Wereldband – Assembly George Square Theatre (Venue 8)
The ThreeWeeks Editors' Awards
Presented by Edinburgh Festival magazine ThreeWeeks, the Editors’ Awards go to the ten things that the ThreeWeeks editors believe made that year's Festival extra special. Winners can be people, plays, companies, venues or even whole festivals. The awards are presented on the last weekday of the Fringe.
One of the widest criteria of awards at the Fringe, as the award can be won by people, shows, companies, venues, or even whole festivals. No set criteria other than extra special to the festival season.
No application process, decision made the ThreeWeeks Editoiral team.
- The Nature Of Forgetting
- Rob Auton: The Hair Show
- At A Stretch – Jordan and Skinner – Scottish Storytelling Centre
- Pianologues (Will Pickvance) – Will Pickvance – Summerhall
- Ian Smith: Snowflake – Bound & Gagged Comedy – Underbelly Med Quad
- Hot Brown Honey – Briefs Factory – Assembly Roxy
- Prom Kween
- KNOCK KNOCK – Niv Petel – C venues – C primo
- Barry Crimmins – Barry Crimmins / Lakin McCarthy / The Stand Comedy Club – The Stand Comedy Club
- Edinburgh Renaissance Band – The Edinburgh Renaissance Band – artSpace@StMarks
The Herald Angel Awards
Presented in association with the Festival Theatre
Since their inception in 1996, The Herald Angel Awards have been an integral part of the Edinburgh Festival scene, celebrating and rewarding the diverse range of talent from the various festivals including the Edinburgh International Festival, The Edinburgh Festival Fringe, The Jazz & Blues Festival and The Edinburgh International Book Festival.
The awards have been bestowed upon some of the world's most recognised names such as Hollywood star Alan Cumming and Irish playwright Enda Walsh. Herald Angels are awarded to the best of the festivals’ performers, venues and backstage crew who have managed to impress The Herald's distinguished panel of arts critics. In outstanding cases, the panel may award an ‘Archangel’ - the highest honour presented at the ceremony, while ‘little Devils’ are awarded to those who have overcome adversity, or in the true tradition of the festival, have demonstrated a 'show must go on' attitude.
- Archangel prize: Sigma - Gandini Juggling - Assembly Hall
- Adam - National Theatre of Scotland - Traverse Theatre
- Sophie Willan - Branded - Bound & Gagged Comedy, UTC Artist Management and Contact - Pleasance Courtyard
- Misha's Gang - Russian String Orchestra - theSpace @ Surgeons Hall
- Atlantic - A Scottish Story - Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Assembly Hall
- No Show - Summerhall
- Lauren Pattison: Lady Muck - Live Nation in association with United Agents - Pleasance Courtyard
- Lear - John Scott Dance - Dance Base
- Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story - 2b theatre company with Aurora Nova - CanadaHub @ King's Hall in association with Summerhall
- The Little Devil Prize: Just Like The Movies - Kingdom Theatre - Greenside @ Infirmary Street
- The Little Devil Prize: The Gardener - Cumbernauld Theatre - Summerhall
Total Theatre Award
Developed for the benefit of artists, the sector and audiences, the Total Theatre Awards have over the last two decades, blazed a trail of recognition for independent artists and companies creating innovative, artist-led theatre and performance.
Resisting too narrow a definition of the term ‘total theatre’ the awards focus on artists and companies leading innovative work beyond the classical cannon and new writing – working within the fields of devised theatre, live art, visual performance, mime, puppetry, physical theatre, experimental theatre, dance, clown, circus, street, immersive, outdoor, site specific performance and more.
- Total Theatre & Farnham Maltings Award for an Emerging Company / Artist - Five Encounters on a Site Called Craigslist
- Total Theatre Awards for Physical / Visual Theatre - Sigma
- Total Theatre & Jacksons Lane Award for Circus - Fauna
- Total Theatre & The Place Award for Dance - Hope Hunt and the Ascension into Lazarus
- Innovation, Experimentation & Playing with Form - Palmyra
- Innovation, Experimentation & Playing with Form - salt.
- Innovation, Experimentation & Playing with Form - Our Carnal Hearts
- Judges Discretionary Award - Slap And Tickle
JustBe Loved Award
Gail Bryden, founder of JustBe Botanicals, and our collaborator on the award-winning Fringe chocolate organises an award for her personal favourite show on the Fringe. The shortlist and winners are detailed below:
- Secret Life of Humans – Pleasance Courtyard